Thursday, November 20, 2008

Zoho T(z)est

Today I am writing my blog post using Zoho Writer, an online software tool similar to Microsoft Word. I can instantly see that this is a tool for the new world of work. We are now a global workforce with many employees working from home offices. What a great collaboration tool and time saver. I am reminded of the story of the startup of Federal Express where a college student was told that his idea of delivering documents overnight would never be feasible and would not catch on. The rest is indeed history. This idea could follow that same path and put a serious dent in Federal Express' business.

In a library setting, typical hours of employment are 9am to 9pm and it is common for employees to work all kinds of shifts. Having this tool would facilitate input on documents where multiple opinions are encouraged, such as setting policy, or even working on school group projects. One example could be the weekly work schedule, posted for review:

MON

TUE

WED

THU

FRI

John

9-5

12-9

12-9

9-5

9-5

Mary

12-9

9-5

9-5

12-9

12-9

So far, I have tested out Zoho's fonts, colors, and a table. Haven't figured out how to resize the table, and I suspect there will be other features that are simply better on Microsoft's products, but in general, I am pretty impressed. We have seen the future.

No comments: